Car Accident Lawyers Serving all of Virginia
Getting into a car accident can make your life very complicated. Dealing with injuries, insurance claims, medical bills, and lawsuits can leave most auto accident victims feeling overwhelmed and alone. These problems can last weeks, months, even years. And without proper help, they can feel like a lifetime for you.
That is not what you deserve. And it is certainly not what you should have to settle for. Fortunately, the Virginia car accident lawyers at Tronfeld West & Durrett are here to help guide you through the rigorous and complicated process of dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident.
Click Here to Contact Our Attorneys
Whether it is dealing with your insurance to get your claim processed as quickly as possible, or dealing with a negligent driver’s insurance who might try to bully you out of asking for a fair financial recovery, we are dedicated to making your personal injury case as quick and painless as it can be so you can get your life back on track.
Having a strong Richmond car accident attorney from Tronfeld West & Durrett in your corner can make all the difference in the outcome of your accident.
Our History of Success for Injured Victims in Virginia
Recently, we have helped car accident victims receive huge sums that they deserved for their injuries. These include:
- A $4.5 million settlement for a man who was hit by a negligent driver while stopped at a red light in Chesterfield County
- A $450,000 settlement for a mother and son injured in a T-bone accident
- A $6.5 million settlement for a man who was seriously injured in an accident on I-95 in Southside Virginia
If you have suffered any kind of injury as the result of a car accident, make sure you get the right representation.
We are not just your typical law firm. We are local attorneys with strong ties to Richmond, Virginia. And we are dedicated to serving our community and those in it and the surrounding areas.
So do not let a serious accident turn your life upside down. Call Tronfeld West & Durrett and get a local team of experienced attorneys who will work to get you the highest settlement you deserve.
Compassionate Injury Attorneys Who Know Virginia Car Accident Law Inside and Out
Leaving your fate in the hands of non-experienced personal injury lawyers can cost you time, money, and satisfaction when it is all said and done.
Here at Tronfeld West & Durrett, that will not be the case. Each experienced Richmond car accident attorney on our team knows Virginia law inside and out and we will use our knowledge to make sure you get the most for your claim.
One thing that is important to remember is that Virginia is a “fault” state when it comes to determining who is liable for a car accident. That means if you are injured as the result of an auto accident, you have several options on how to seek compensation:
- You can choose to simply file a claim with your medical payments coverage policy. However, medical payments coverage is optional in Virginia and you may not have it on your policy. In addition, medical payments coverage is usually very limited and may not be enough to cover your medical bills.
- You can file a third party auto insurance claim with the insurance agency of the driver who was at fault in your accident
- If fault is not clear, or settlement negotiations have not met your expectations, you can choose to take the case to court
This is different from “no fault” states which only offer car accident victims a predetermined payment from their insurance company regardless of who was at fault.
This ability to determine fault allows for you to receive fuller and greater compensation for your losses.
Another important thing to remember about Virginia car accident laws is the state mandated statute of limitations on all injury claims.
If you are the victim of a car accident, the state declares that you only have two years to file a personal injury claim, and only five years to file a property damage claim. These time periods may be longer for minors under 18 years old and persons under a disability. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you should contact an attorney immediately to determine the applicable statute of limitations.
The Importance of Proving Negligence in Virginia
The State of Virginia has extremely rigid contributory negligence laws. In Virginia, if a driver is even one percent at-fault in an accident, the law bars him from collecting any compensation.
This means that if you were driving a few miles over the speed limit when another driver turned left at an intersection and slammed into you, you could be on the hook for your damages, even though you did not cause the accident. Click here to see The 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Richmond and Petersburg, Virginia.
That is why it is so crucial that you are able to prove the other driver was totally at-fault for the accident. To do this, you will need to collect proper evidence and build a strong case against the negligent party.
You can do this by:
- Documenting all of your injuries and damages to your personal effects
- Taking photos of your injuries, the scene of the accident, and damages to your property
- Gathering the names and contact information of any witnesses
- Securing medical records related to anyone involved in the accident
This can be an arduous task however and can feel overwhelming for someone who was just involved in a serious car accident. Which is all the more reason to contact professionals who know how the law works and can do all of the tedious work for you.
What Can I Receive Compensation for After a Car Accident?
At Tronfeld West & Durrett, we will stop at nothing to prove fault and ensure you are compensated fairly for your losses. We will work to get you compensation for:
- Your medical bills
- Damage to your vehicle or other personal property
- Insurance deductibles
- Lost wages due to missing work
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Do not let your bills and anxiety pile up by hiring a team of inexperienced personal injury lawyers.
Meet with local lawyers who have more than 40 years of experience helping injury victims in the Virginia area. Call Tronfeld West & Durrett today.
What Should You Do Following a Car Accident That Is Not Your Fault?
You should always call 911 following a car accident so that the police and EMTs will arrive at the scene. In some cases, the other driver may ask that you not contact the police. Perhaps they are driving without insurance or have other accidents on their driving record. While you may feel compassion for the other person, you simply cannot afford not to have a police report of the incident. You should always receive medical attention for your injuries. Even if you think you were not injured badly, many injuries manifest hours, days, or even a week after your accident. The surge of adrenaline your body undergoes during the accident can mask your injury symptoms, so it’s always better to have a medical professional check you out after a car accident.
While at the scene—if you are medically able—exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, then take photographs of the vehicles, the scene of the accident, and anything else you think might be able to help your attorney build a solid case for compensation. Once you are home, take some time to think about the time right before the accident, the accident itself, and the aftermath. Write down anything you can remember. The smallest detail could end up being incredibly important. Contact your insurance company and provide them with the basic details of your accident. After you’ve contacted your insurance company, contact an experienced Richmond car accident attorney from Tronfeld West & Durrett. We will communicate with the at-fault party’s insurer and help you get the necessary medical treatments, giving you time to heal from your Richmond car accident.
How Long Does a Car Accident Settlement Take?
Every car accident settlement is different. The amount of time your settlement will take will depend on many different things, including whether liability for the accident is clear, the extent of your injuries, how long your recovery is expected to take, and whether you will be able to return to work at some point. While the simplest accidents with fairly minor injuries can settle quickly within six weeks to two months, more complex accidents with more severe injuries can take 3-8 months to settle. If, however, the insurer refuses to settle for a reasonable amount, the case will go to trial, which can take significantly longer than a settlement. It can take time even to get a trial date set, and it is likely to be set for months or even a year. When a case goes to court, you might look at a year to a year and a half to settle.
What Are the Most Common Injuries from Car Accidents?
Car accidents can result in serious injuries to the body. Although airbags and seat belts have minimized severe injuries, more cars on the roadways, higher speeds, and distracted drivers have increased the number of car accidents. Traumatic brain injuries are the primary injuries sustained by those in car accidents. The brain injury can range from a concussion to a severe TBI with long-term effects. Any time the head strikes a hard surface, the brain can sustain injury. Other common injuries resulting from car accidents include:
- Neck and back injuries—Whiplash is common when one vehicle is struck in the rear by another. Back injuries can result from any type of car accident, ranging from minor pain to severe pain and lack of mobility. When the spinal cord is injured, partial or full paralysis can occur.
- Burns can occur in serious car accidents when the vehicle catches on fire or in any car accident when the skin comes into contact with hot fluids, surfaces, steam, or chemicals. Severe burns can cause long-term physical and emotional pain and trauma.
- Internal injuries can occur in minor or more serious car accidents. Internal organ damage can occur when a car crash forces the body into a hard object, or the body is hit by flying debris. Internal bleeding and internal organ damage require immediate medical attention. Even those wearing a seat belt can sustain internal organ damage from the impact of the seat belt against the body at the time of the collision.
- Fractures and broken bones are extremely common car accident injuries, including broken legs, ribs, wrists, knees, ankles, and arms. Sometimes, a car accident victim will sustain a broken pelvis or ribs. Simple breaks may only require a cast, while more serious breaks or compound fractures may require surgical intervention.
- Facial disfigurement can occur from flying glass that embeds into the face, when the face strikes a hard surface, or when burns occur to the face. Facial injury disfigurement may require multiple surgical procedures and leave the victim with lasting facial scars.
- Amputation of an arm, a leg, fingers, or toes can occur during a car accident. Limb loss can have permanent disabling effects on the victim.
Hiring a Richmond Car Accident Attorney Near You
You may feel you can handle your car accident claim on your own, and if your car accident was minor and there are no injuries or only very minor injuries, you may be able to handle your claim. Suppose you receive more serious injuries and will be off work for a significant length of time. In that case, you will definitely benefit from having a Richmond car accident attorney from Tronfeld West & Durrett as your advocate throughout the process. When you speak to a Tronfeld West & Durrett attorney, you will immediately know that you are in good hands.
You can focus all your energy on healing from your injuries while we handle all the interactions with the insurance company. We understand that the aftermath of a car accident can be difficult as you deal with disabling injuries, physical pain, time away from work, and emotional trauma. Your financial situation may also quickly deteriorate as you must deal with medical expenses and time away from work, resulting in your normal bills going unpaid. When you have a Richmond car accident attorney from Tronfeld West & Durrett by your side, you don’t need to worry about settling for an amount that doesn’t begin to cover your damages.
Personal Injury Attorneys You Can Count On
After an accident, you do not want to share your pain and grief with a stranger. You need people who understand what you are going through and are dedicated to serving your best interests — not just their own.
Our attorneys work with you on a personal basis (as we said, we are Virginia born and raised) and are always available to handle any questions or concerns you have.
Do not let an auto accident wreck your life. Call the experienced injury lawyers at Tronfeld West & Durrett now and let us get you the help and compensation you deserve.
We have offices conveniently located in your neighborhood, whether you are in Richmond, Petersburg, Chesterfield or Mechanicsville.
Contact us now locally at 804-358-6741. Not in the Virginia area? Call us toll-free at 800-321-6741.