Personal injuries can dramatically alter the course of one’s life, bringing forth not just physical suffering but also emotional distress and the daunting challenges of the legal system. When faced with such adversity, having a personal injury lawyer by your side becomes essential to secure compensation and demand justice in Virginia Beach.
At Tronfeld West & Durrett, we have over 51 years of experience representing victims in a wide range of personal injury cases, from car accidents and slip and falls to medical malpractice. Our team of attorneys stands ready, not just to represent, but to champion your cause, ensuring that justice is served and that you secure the compensation that mirrors the gravity of your injuries.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Virginia Beach
We handle many types of personal injury cases, including but not limited to:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Whether you were hit by a drunk driver, a distracted driver, or someone who was simply reckless, we can help you pursue compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Slip and fall accidents: If you were injured on someone else’s property due to their negligence, you have a premises liability It’s possible to hold the property owner accountable and seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
- Medical malpractice: If you were injured as a result of a healthcare provider’s negligence, you can also pursue compensation that covers the cost of your injuries.
- Product liability: Victims of defective products can hold the manufacturer, distributor, or seller accountable and seek compensation with a personal injury claim.
- Truck Accidents: Truck accident claims can be complex, with potential negligence from drivers, companies, or manufacturers.
We know each case is unique, and we are here to listen to your story, analyze the specific circumstances surrounding your case, and help you prove negligence to recover the compensation you deserve.
For answers to your questions with a Personal Injury serving Virginia Beach, call:
How a Virginia Beach Attorney Can Help You Hold the Guilty Accountable
Negligence is a crucial concept in personal injury law. It refers to the failure of an individual or entity to exercise reasonable care, which results in harm to another person. However, proving negligence in a personal injury case requires establishing a duty of care existed, there was a breach of that duty, the breach directly caused the injury, and damages resulted from the injury.
In this scenario, a personal injury lawyer can help you in the process of proving negligence and can help you use the right legal arguments to build a strong case that maximizes your chances of getting compensated.
Damages You Might Be Entitled to Claim
Victims of personal injuries can claim various types of damages, including:
- Economic damages: These damages have a specific dollar value, such as medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages: On the other hand, these are intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are intended to punish the defendant for their conduct and deter others from engaging in similar conduct in the future.
Calculating compensation in a personal injury case depends on various factors and the specific circumstances of your case, but a local personal injury lawyer can help in accurately estimating and maximizing these damages.
Types of Injuries You Can Claim For
In the wake of an accident, the physical and emotional repercussions can be deep and hard to quantify. Each injury, regardless of its apparent severity, carries with it a unique set of challenges and burdens. While no amount of compensation can truly make up for the pain and suffering you and your family must go through, getting fair compensation can help you cover medical expenses and alleviate the financial burden.
Some of the injuries you can claim are:
- Catastrophic injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Burns and cuts
- Soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
- Emotional distress
Even if the consequences go beyond this list, you can consult with an attorney to find which is the best course of action according to your specific situation.
What Are Your Legal Options After an Injury in Virginia Beach
If you’ve been injured in Virginia Beach, you have several legal options for pursuing compensation, including:
Before heading to court, parties often engage in settlement negotiations, aiming to reach an agreement that compensates the victim without the need for a trial. Most often, personal injury cases are resolved at this stage.
This involves negotiating with the defendant or their insurance company to reach a settlement that compensates you for your injuries and damages. In this situation, it’s important to have the support of an attorney who can negotiate on your behalf and ensure others don’t try to minimize your injuries.
On the other hand, if settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, mediation may be an option. This involves a neutral third party who facilitates discussions between the involved parties, helping them reach a mutually agreeable resolution.
Going to Court
If both negotiations and mediation fail, the involved parties can’t reach a settlement. In this scenario, the case might proceed to court, where your lawyer will represent you in the litigation process and a judge or jury will determine the outcome.
Click to contact us today
How to Claim for Fair Compensation
The journey from sustaining an injury to receiving compensation is long and involves a series of structured steps. Typically, the legal process involved in a personal injury case includes:
- Filing a claim: Notify the defendant or their insurance company of your intent to seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Discovery: Gather evidence and information related to your case, such as medical records, witness statements, and expert opinions, and share it with any involved parties.
- Settlement negotiations: As discussed above, settlement negotiations are often the way most personal injury cases are resolved.
- Mediation: If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, you can try mediation.
- Going to court: If all other options are exhausted, going to court may be necessary.
No matter what option you choose, we will help you throughout the process to ensure you understand your rights and the amount of compensation you are entitled to claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer Expert in Virginia Beach Cases
If you’ve been injured in Virginia Beach, it’s important to hire a personal injury lawyer with deep knowledge of Virginia laws and experience handling local cases.
Our team of personal injury lawyers can bring to the table their experience in negotiating with insurance companies and other involved parties to ensure you’re fairly compensated.
If you are dealing with a personal injury case, don’t hesitate to contact us for a free consultation. We will review the details of your case and present the best course of action available to you, according to your specific circumstances.