If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of another person’s negligence or carelessness, having a Richmond personal injury attorney on your side can take the burden off your shoulders. It may seem overwhelming when you are dealing with injuries that may have kept you from returning to your job and earning a living. You may see your medical bills mounting alarmingly and feel panicked about your financial future and health.
This is the time when having a law firm that knows how to value your personal injury lawsuit and then get you the settlement you need and deserve. At Tronfeld, West & Durrett, we want you to be able to heal from your injuries without worrying about how you will pay for your medical expenses or your normal monthly bills. We will be the advocates in your corner who will fight for you, your rights, and your future.
PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS SERVING ALL OF VIRGINIA
With law offices in Richmond, Chesterfield, Petersburg, and Mechanicsville, our attorneys represent personal injury clients throughout the state of Virginia. For your convenience, we will meet at the office located closest to you or come to you if needed. Our attorneys and staff are dedicated to obtaining the best possible settlement quickly and professionally.
After an accident, you do not want to share your pain and grief with a stranger. You need someone who understands and is dedicated to your best interests to fight the insurance companies. Our attorneys work with you on a personal basis and are always available to handle your questions and concerns.
For answers to your questions with a Personal Injury serving Richmond, call:
Tronfeld, West & Durrett—Fighting for Injured Victims in Virginia Since 1972
Since 1972, our personal injury attorneys in Richmond have obtained settlements or jury verdicts for thousands of residents in Virginia. We are a team of experienced local lawyers helping our neighbors in need of legal representation. Our partners are each native—born and local to Virginia. Two of them served in the U.S. military, and all are involved in the community.
A serious personal injury can turn your life upside down, causing pain, mounting medical expenses, and time off work. Whether you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, through medical malpractice, a faulty product, or another situation, our attorneys will ensure you get the help you deserve from a caring and professional lawyer. For answers to your questions, contact your personal injury lawyer at 1-800-321-6741.
Understanding The Role of a Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury law firm represents clients who need legal counsel if they’ve suffered physical or psychological harm. The attorney is there to protect their client from the negligence of other parties that caused the harm to help them receive financial compensation to pay for any necessary medical costs, lost wages, grief, pain and suffering, and any other types of damages that were related to the accident.
Virginia law, allows victims to recover monetary damages if the injured person was injured through the negligence or recklessness of the faulty party, which can include another person, company, or government. Examples of those damages may include fair compensation or reimbursement for items like:
- Lost wages
- Past and future medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of economic opportunity
- Funeral expenses
Click to contact us today
How do I know if I have a good case?
We are one of the only law firms in Richmond (and Virginia) where you will speak directly to one of our legal professionals to answer your questions if you give us a call about your potential case. Our legal team will evaluate your case and let you know if there are any legal actions to be able to submit a compensation claim. Our goal is to prove that your injury was a result of another’s negligence.
You should be able to tell from the answers to these questions whether this is the right attorney for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Types Of Legal Cases We Handle
At Tronfeld, West & Durrett, our attorneys fight for the highest compensation for personal injuries, including:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car accidents, bus accidents, truck or 18-wheeler accidents, motorcycle crashes or even bicycle accidents — Unfortunately, automobile accidents—car, truck, and motorcycle—can change lives forever. When a driver is not obeying laws or the rules of the road by driving carelessly or negligently and then crashes into an innocent person, leaving them injured and perhaps unable to work, that driver is liable for the resulting damages. These damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, future lost earnings, and pain and suffering. When a smaller passenger vehicle is hit by a commercial truck, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic or fatal due to the sheer size difference between an 80,000-pound truck and a 3,000-pound passenger vehicle. Motorcyclists are the most vulnerable in an auto accident. A motorcyclist has virtually no protection in the event of an accident other than a helmet if worn. Collecting for catastrophic injuries can feel like an uphill battle that always benefits from having a strong Richmond personal injury attorney on the case.
- Head Injuries and TBI—While any accident can result in a head injury, motorcycle accidents and truck wrecks are more likely to involve catastrophic traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries can cause the accident victim to undergo months or years of medical treatments and rehabilitative therapies and can significantly impact the victim’s family members as well. A severe traumatic brain injury could cost hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars, over the victim’s lifetime. Few people can afford to pay medical bills of this enormity, particularly if they are unable to work.
- Defective Products—We all expect that the consumer products we purchase and use are safe. When we find out a product is not as safe as we thought and has caused injuries, the manufacturer of the defective product should be held liable for the resulting damages. Collecting damages from a large corporation can be more complicated than collecting damages from a negligent driver’s insurance company. This is when the knowledge and experience of your Richmond personal injury lawyer really come into play.
- Medical Malpractice—Medical malpractice is a complex area of the law. When determining whether a medical practitioner was negligent, a jury will ask whether another doctor who was similarly trained would have done the same thing, given the same set of circumstances. If the answer to that question is “no,” then there is a valid medical malpractice claim. The most common types of medical malpractice claims are misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis, prescription drug errors, surgical errors, and childbirth injuries.
- Wrongful Death—When a loved one dies as a result of the negligence of another person, the family members or personal representatives of the estate can file a wrongful death claim for damages. Those damages might include burial and funeral expenses, lost future income of the decedent, and loss of companionship, care, and guidance.
- Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect—When your loved one is in a nursing home, and you find out they have been abused or neglected, it can be devastating. You have entrusted the care of your loved one to the staff at the nursing home, and finding out that trust has been misplaced is a terrible thing. Speaking to a personal injury attorney in Richmond who is knowledgeable regarding nursing home abuse and neglect can ensure those responsible are held accountable. Your attorney can also help you navigate the complexities of this process.
- Catastrophic Personal Injury—Sometimes, an accident can result in catastrophic injuries. Catastrophic injuries are those that require months or years of medical interventions and rehabilitative therapies and can leave the victim partially or fully disabled or disfigured. This could be anything from a spinal cord injury to burn injuries caused by a fire.
What Are the Most Common Types of Personal Injury Claims?
Automobile accidents are, by far, the most common type of personal injury claim. There are more than 17,250 car accidents every day in the United States, and many of those accidents are the direct result of negligence or carelessness on the part of a driver. Auto accidents can cause injuries that result in lifelong medical issues and pain. Therefore, holding the careless driver responsible is extremely important.
What is a settlement?
A settlement refers to an agreement reached between parties involved in a legal dispute, often before or during a trial, to resolve the matter without proceeding to court.
Steps to take after a personal injury
When you suffered an incident resulting in personal injury, it becomes imperative to take a series of actions to safeguard your well-being and potential legal claims, including:
- Seeking medical care: Initiate the process by promptly seeking medical care, even if injuries appear minor.
- Preserving vital evidence: Engage in the gathering and preservation of evidence from the accident scene. This includes essential documents such as medical records, prescriptions, and receipts related to the injuries, forming a critical foundation for potential legal claims.
- Obtaining appropriate treatment: Following the assessment of potential injuries, securing proper treatment is paramount for a comprehensive recovery.
- Collecting pertinent information: Whenever feasible, gather the name and insurance information of the party responsible for the accident.
Your well-being is of utmost importance, and taking the right steps can significantly impact your recovery and your chances to claim compensation.
Who is at fault in a personal injury case?
The assignment of fault plays a crucial role in establishing liability and seeking compensation for the injured party. When these accidents occur, several factors contribute to determining fault, including:
- Negligence: One of the primary considerations is whether any party involved acted negligently. Negligence involves a failure to exercise reasonable care, and if this negligence directly leads to injury, the negligent party may be deemed at fault.
- Breach of duty: This aspect examines whether the defendant had a duty to act or refrain from acting in a certain way toward the plaintiff. For instance, in the context of truck accidents, drivers have a duty to follow traffic laws to ensure the safety of others on the road. If a breach of this duty occurs, such as running a red light, and it results in an accident, this breach can be a determining factor in establishing fault.
- Causation: It’s essential to establish a direct link between the defendant’s actions (or inactions) and the injury sustained by the plaintiff. This means showing that the injury would not have occurred if not for the defendant’s breach of duty.
Considering each of these elements is crucial for anyone involved in a personal injury claim, as they form the basis of legal arguments and influence the outcome of the case. At our law firm, we will help you throughout the whole process of proving someone’s negligence to ensure you are fairly compensated for their wrongful actions.
Dealing with insurance companies
Effectively handling interactions with insurance providers is a crucial component of personal injury cases, and this process often includes:
- Notify the insurance provider: It’s imperative to promptly inform the insurance provider of the incident and furnish them with the requisite information.
- Document the incident: Thoroughly document the incident by capturing scene photographs and obtaining witness statements, as this documentation can prove pivotal for potential legal claims.
- Exercise caution in communication: Exercise prudence in your communication with the insurance company, recognizing that statements made can be utilized against you in future proceedings.
- Decline initial settlement offers: While insurance companies may extend settlements shortly after the incident, it’s advisable to seek guidance from a seasoned personal injury attorney before accepting any initial offers. These companies often offer settlements that don’t represent the full extent of damages suffered by the victims and their families.
In this context, our team can help you carefully analyze those settlements, making sure you only accept the amount you deserve and need to recover.
There are nearly 50,000 injury cases filed each year, which represents 97% of all civil filings nationwide, according to US government sources. In Virginia, vehicle accidents represent a significant number of personal injury claims. According to the last reports, there were over 122,434 vehicle crashes last year, with 1,005 fatalities registered. Of these over 100,000 yearly crashes, Virginia has registered 59,404 injuries, which represent the victims we represent.
How Do I Choose the Right Personal Injury Attorney Near Me?
Choosing the right personal injury firm is an important step in the process. While you want an attorney you trust and feel comfortable talking to, you also want a Richmond personal injury attorney with significant experience in cases like yours—along with a good track record of “wins.” You need someone who gets results for their client.
Having an attorney who primarily practices personal injury law can make a difference in the outcome of your claim—your attorney will know how to secure a full and fair settlement that will completely cover your damages. A certain standard of conduct, called duty of care, is a legal obligation for companies and individuals to adhere to that could influence the safety and well-being of others. This duty is imposed by law in accordance with applicable statutes and precedents from relevant court decisions. Tronfeld, West & Durrett understand these laws and will help you fight to get justice through the legal process.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer at a First Meeting
When you begin searching for the best Richmond personal injury attorney, you will want to ask the following questions—and pay close attention to the answers you receive:
How are you paid for your services?
Most attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless your attorney recovers monetary damages on your behalf.
Have you handled cases specifically like mine before?
You can view our record of success from major case results from our law firm, which include both verdicts and settlements from similar cases, most likely (i.e., a motorcycle accident, traumatic brain injury, etc.).
How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
We have been helping personal injury victims in Virginia since 1972!
Do I need to go to court?
There are typically two ways to win a case. One way is to have the claim settled with an agreed upon amount of compensation. The other way is to file a lawsuit to take the case to court in Virginia if the insurance company is refusing to pay you fair compensation. This is the only time you would need to go to court.
Will I be updated regularly on the progress of my case?
We work closely with our clients and keep in close communication. You can check out our reviews with other valued clients of ours.
How a Richmond Personal Injury Attorney from Tronfeld, West & Durrett Can Help
At Tronfeld, West & Durrett, we handle cases anywhere in Virginia and have offices locations in Richmond, Petersburg, Chesterfield, and Mechanicsville. For your convenience, we are able to meet at the office closest to you. Our highly experienced personal injury lawyer team is waiting to help you through this difficult time to get you maximum compensation for your physical and emotional pain. We will advocate for you at every turn, fighting on your behalf for the best settlement possible. Contact Tronfeld, West & Durrett today for a free legal consultation.