If you’ve been involved in a Richmond commercial truck accident, you may be dealing with severe, perhaps even life-threatening injuries. Your entire focus is likely on your injuries, your finances, and your future—and this is entirely normal. Commercial truck accidents are so severe because a loaded commercial truck and trailer can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. When you compare that to the average 3,000-pound passenger vehicle, you can see how the disparity in size contributes to very serious injuries to those in the smaller vehicle.
Commercial truck accidents are different from accidents involving only passenger vehicles in that there may be more than one liable party. It is important that you speak to a knowledgeable Richmond commercial truck accident lawyer from Tronfeld West & Durrett as quickly as possible. We will immediately ensure your rights and your future are fully protected as we advocate for you and your family at every turn.
How Are Commercial Accidents Different from Typical Accidents?
A commercial truck accident involves a large commercial truck that is usually owned by a business, and driven by an employee of that business. What makes commercial truck accidents different includes the number of liable parties as well as the insurance coverage. Trucking companies are required to carry commercial insurance policies which typically have much higher limits.
Trucking companies and their insurers don’t want those injured in a large commercial truck accident to know about these higher limits—which is why you should always have an experienced Richmond commercial truck accident lawyer from Tronfeld West & Durrett working on your behalf. We will ensure your health and your future are not jeopardized by the questionable tactics of an insurance company that has no interest in ensuring your damages are fully covered.
What Are Common Injuries Sustained in a Commercial Truck Accident?
Commercial trucking accident injuries can be catastrophic. Even when the accident doesn’t result in the death of those in the smaller passenger vehicles, the injuries can be so severe that it can take years—or a lifetime—of recovery. The victim may be left with piles of medical bills, the necessity for years of medical treatments and rehabilitative therapies, the inability to return to work, and a lifetime of pain and emotional trauma. Some of the more common injuries sustained in commercial truck accidents include the following:
- Back and neck injuries including herniated or dislocated discs, fractures, sprains and strains, pinched nerves, spondylosis, whiplash, or more serious spinal cord injuries that can result in partial or full paralysis. Back and neck injuries can result in chronic pain, loss of mobility, the inability to engage in normal activities or work, or the inability to move and take care of yourself.
- Fractures are common in any vehicle accident. Fractures or bone breaks are likely to be more severe when a large commercial truck is involved. Compound fractures can take a long time to heal, or may never heal properly, resulting in some level of disability.
- A fast-spreading, high-temperature fire can develop after a commercial truck accident when a gas tank is punctured or sparks spread from severed wires. If the commercial truck accident damages hoses or lines, a leak in fluids can lead to a fire. Those in the passenger vehicle could suffer first, second, or third-degree burns. While first-degree burns only affect the top layer of skin and can often be treated at home, second and third-degree burns affect more layers of skin and can require many years of treatments, including reconstructive surgery for disfigurement caused by burns. If the truck was transporting hazardous materials, those materials could be especially flammable or could result in chemical burns.
- Head injuries are common in commercial truck accidents. These head injuries may range from a concussion to severe traumatic brain trauma. Symptoms of brain trauma can be temporary or can last a lifetime. Symptoms of a traumatic brain injury may include confusion, nausea, vision problems, cognitive difficulties, emotional problems, depression, anxiety, loss or diminishment of some motor functions, and the necessity of relearning basic activities. Some people with brain injuries will require long-term care.
- Internal injuries can result from any type of blunt trauma. There can be trauma to an organ like the liver, kidneys, pancreas, spleen, bladder, or internal bleeding. In some cases, an internal injury may not be readily apparent and can be overlooked.
When your injuries are catastrophic, you may be facing a lifetime of medical treatments—and a lifetime of medical expenses. Because of this, it is extremely important that you speak with a highly skilled commercial truck accident lawyer from Tronfeld West & Durrett. We will fight for you, ensuring you not only get a full and fair settlement but that you also receive the treatment you need.
Why Choose a Richmond Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer from Tronfeld West & Durrett?
When you choose a Tronfeld West & Durrett commercial truck accident lawyer, you have taken an important first step toward safeguarding your future. Once we are on board, we will do the following:
- All liable parties will be identified, including the truck driver, the trucking company, the cargo loading company, the maintenance company, or the manufacturer of the truck.
- Complex negotiations will be handled by your attorney as we fight to secure a full settlement that will comprehensively cover your injuries.
- We will always prepare your case as though we are going to argue it at trial—thoroughly, so there are never any surprises.
- If your case does go to trial, we will argue persuasively on your behalf, provide expert witnesses to support your claim and find all the weaknesses of the defendant as they pertain to your claim. Our legal strategy will be tailored to ensure you receive the compensation you need and deserve.
- Guiding you through the legal process while answering all your questions in an easy-to-understand manner is also a part of our job as your attorneys. The legal process is often complex, time-consuming, and overwhelming. Our goal will be to represent your best interests at all times, allowing you the time to heal and move forward with your life.
Who Can Be Held Liable in a Commercial Truck Accident?
When you have an auto accident with another driver and both vehicles are privately-owned passenger vehicles, one driver is usually at-fault for the accident, or at least primarily at fault. Following a truck accident, the truck driver could be liable for the accident. Perhaps the truck driver was engaging in another activity that created a distraction. The driver may have been driving while impaired, overly fatigued, or may have been an inexperienced driver. The trucking company usually has some liability, even if the driver was “at-fault.” The trucking company may not have properly vetted the driver to ensure they were a well-trained and safe driver.
The trucking company might be aware that the driver is exceeding his or her allowable hours in order to deliver loads more quickly. Some commercial truck accidents are the result of improperly loaded cargo. When cargo shifts during a turn, or is not properly secured, serious accidents can occur. If improperly loaded cargo is responsible for the commercial truck accident, the cargo-loading company may be at least partially liable. If the accident is the result of worn-out tires or bad brakes, the trucking maintenance company may be held liable. Quite often, there is more than one defendant in a commercial truck accident claim, making having an experienced Richmond truck accident lawyer crucial.
Getting the Help You Need from Tronfeld West & Durrett
Being involved in a Richmond commercial truck accident is traumatizing and can upend your life for a very long time. Aside from getting treatment for your injuries—which may be catastrophic—you may be dealing with lost wages, chronic pain, and emotional trauma. We will provide support to you throughout every aspect of your truck accident injuries. At Tronfeld West & Durrett, we are local Virginia commercial truck accident lawyers with more than four decades of helping those in our community. Contact Tronfeld West & Durrett today.